1781 Birth of Maori Chief Te Huruhuru.
1844 First white men traverse Waimate district E. Shortland, Protector of the Aborigines' and Bishop Selwyn.
Mr Shortland, in a report dated May 18, 1844, writes of Chief Huruhuru as one of the principal chiefs of that part of the country.
1848 District explored between '48 and '52 by W. Mantell, Native Commissioner. C.Torlease (a surveyor in the employ of Canterbury Association), and several squatters seeking suitable land for grazing purposes.
1854 Michael Studholme, the first white settler and Saul Shrives arrive on July 18th, and are made welcome by Chief Huruhuru.
1855 Michael Studholme and his brother John secure from the Government a grazing license over 35,000 acres of land on February 1st.
1858 First postal service commences May 1st from Christchurch Fortnightly horseback service.
1859 The Provincial Council reserves an area of 640 acre's for a township, October 11th. South Canterbury representative on Provincial Council, John Studholme.
1860 Miss E. M. Channon becomes bride of Michael Studholme and arrives with him in Waimate on horseback. Other known residents at this time: Mr and Mrs Shrives and Mr and Mrs Gregson. Ferry service established across the Waitaki at Redcliff.
1861 The original name Te-Wai-mate-mate shortened to Waimate in a document of the Provincial Council granting £1404 for a road from Waimate township to Otaio. Chief Huruhuru dies and is succeeded by Horomona Pohio. Weekly mail service inaugurated.
1863 Storekeeping commenced by Saul Shrives, also by John and George Manchester, who reached New Zealand in 1859, arrived in Waimate in 1863. and entered into partnership with. Samuel William Goldsmith, a shipmate who arrived in Waimate in 1862. Bullock dray loaded with bricks arrives from Timaru in three days using fifteen and a half hours travel.
1864 Waitangi Road District created by Act of Parliament. (Waitangi, water-of-lamentation applies to the Waitaki River.) First chairman of the Board, John Studholme. Number of ratepayers, 115. Postal depot removed from the Studholme residence to Manchester Bros. and Goldsmith's store. Cob and Co's coaches call weekly, carrying mails. First doctor, baker, butcher, bootmaker and publican established. A growing demand for timber from the three thousand acre Waimate Bush.
1865 Mr Woollcombe appointed Magistrate on March 11th, and holds first court a month later. Waimate made an "Educational District" Hares introduced by M. Studholme.
1866 A few settlers commence to buy freeholds. First Methodist Church building erected.
1867 First Public Schoolroom built and opened February 15th.
1868 Government grants £1700 to repair flood damage to roads. Bridge built over south branch of Hook stream.
1870 First Post Office building erected. Money-order office opened. Electric telegraph installed. First brick premises built in Queen Street. Now Savoy tea rooms.
1871 First Oddfellows Lodge formed.
1872 Ballot first applied to Road Board elections. First Anglican Church built in the township. Emigrant barracks built at cost of £429. Site now of Drill Hall,
1873 Steady stream of immigrants arriving. Barracks built for their accommodation at a cost of £429. Road Board office built First Waimate newspaper started as Waitangi Tribune.
1874 First Presbyterian Church built. Temperance Hall built (demolished in 1929). Public Library housed in Temperance Hall. Cottage Hospital built. Bridges built over Pareora.
Hook and Waihao Rivers. Bank of NZ. opens. Oddfellows Hall built. Company with £500 capital formed to search for gold. Non payable.
1875 Foresters, Masons, and Caledonian organise.
First N.Z.,Grand National Steeplechase run at Willowbridge.
1876 Final additions made to Public School Building at corner of Queen Street and Victoria Terrace. First Catholic Church built. Waitaki River bridged. Waimate County formed with 159 miles of roads.
1877 Railway opened to Waimate, March 19th. Five sawmills operating in Waimate Bush. First election for members of Timaru Harbour Board. Waimate County Council resolves; "That, in the opinion of this Council the township of 'Waimate, should be proclaimed a municipality." Second Methodist Church built.
1878 County Chambers built. Waimate Hospital built, Public donations £374, County sudsidy £748, and Government subsidy. First train Christchurch to Dunedin.
Great eight days' bush fire, November 15th to 23rd.
Orange Lodge formed. Waimate Times founded.
1879 Depression, following bush fire and New Zealand land boom sets in. September 8, Governor Hercules George Robert Robinson proclaims Waimate a Borough.
Appoints E. H. Gibbon Town Clerk. October 6, John Manchester elected first Mayor. October 8: First Council elected—Messrs Alpheous Hayes, Samuel William Goldsmith, Rupert Cameron, William John Black, Frederick Gascoyne, Matthew Sherwin, Leonard Price, Thomas Evans and Henry Middleton. Thirteen applicants for position of Town Clerk. Salaries asked from £109 to £300. W. F Finn appointed at £150.
November: A Commission decides that the settlement of accounts between County and Borough be the payment by the County of £1941 to the Borough. Six hundred trout liberated in the Waihao River and 200 in the Waimate River. Courthouse erected. Member for Gladstone (electoral district) John Studholme, asked to secure part of Post Office Reserve for a Public Library site. Waitangi Tribune sold to Waimate Times Coy.
1880 First rate struck, 1/- in £. Fire station and bell tower built. Street lighting installed (12 kerosene lamps). Oddfellows' Hall licensed. Racing Club succeeds Jockey Club. Catholic school opened. First by-laws adopted. Newly formed Borough of 749 acres, 488 dwellings, 298 ratepayers. Primitive Methodist Church built in Harris street.
1881 New Public School built in brick. First census taken. John Molloy offers gift of land for a 40ft street from Queen street to Shearman street, and a 66ft street from Shearman street to Harris street. Offer accepted (never, again referred to, it appears). September 19th Borough Council asks that "Waimate Junction" be renamed "Studholme."
1882 Brass Band formed. First unemployed deputation waits on County Council.
1883 Salvation Army opens up, December 9. Waihao Downs railway, opened January 16.
1884 Motion defeated in Borough Council "that a water supply be-procured."
1885 Public Library handed over to Borough Council. Borough Office removed to LibraryBuildings.
1886 Great fire in Upper Queen and Cameron Streets destroys Club Hotel, Methodist Church buildings, Cameron's Store, and several dwellings. Death of first settler, Michael Studholme. £150 subsidy received from Government on unemployed work. Wages, 3/- per day.
1887 Third Methodist Church erected. Ladies' Benevolent Society formed.
1888 Acclimatisation Society formed.
1891 Tennis Club formed.
1892 Second Post Office built. Bowling commenced.
1893 Land for Settlements Act opens new era for New Zealand.
1894 First Bowling Green laid.
1894/95 Wonderful collection of Moa bones dug up at Arno.
1896 Wainono Drainage Board formed.
1897 First Box Outlet for the Waihao River built.
1898 Waimate Advertiser founded by C. A. Wilson.
1899 Waikakahi estate of 52,953 acres bought and cut up by Government. Commencement of forward movement and growing prosperity in Waimate.
1900 Motor car introduced. E. C. Studholme offers to sell the Borough 1413 acres of Kelceys Bush for £3 per acre, terms. or £4000 cash. Wooden school building in Queen street burned. (Used commercially).
1901 Stone building erected for Public Library in Victoria Terrace; stone used from Waihao Downs.
1902 First Beautifying Committee set up. Golf Club formed.
1903 Borough Council resolves to approach Government to light Waimate, Timaru and Oamaru with electricity generated on the Waitaki River. Pipe Band formed. Telephone installed in Waimate.
1904 Capital value of Borough, £140,298 (first available).
1905 Gasworks built.
1907 High pressure water supply installed. Volunteer Fire Brigade reformed with new personnel.
1908 Swimming baths constructed. Waimate Borough made a contributor to the Timaru Harbour Board. Foundation stone of present Catholic Church laid in January.
1909 Boy Scouts organised in Waimate.
1910 Scottish Society formed. Third Post Office Building erected.
1911 Chiming clock installed in Post Office tower.
1912 Kelcey's Bush bought by the Borough. Underground sewerage commenced.
1914 Waimate Advertiser published daily, with cabled war news. Orange Lodge, buys Primitive Methodist Church building.
1915 Sander's Falls coupled up with town water supply.
1917 Death of Mrs M. Studholme. Street names erected. Amusements provided in Parks for children.
1922 Point Bush offered to Borough at £58 per acre.
1923 Dr Margaret Cruickshank Memorial erected,
1925 New Convent School built in brick in Cameron street. Trotting Club formed but being unable to obtain totalisator permits held, non-totalisator meetings in 1925 and 1926 and then went into recess.
1926 Electric light and power from Lake Coleridge turned on. Girl Guides organised. Waimate County Jubilee celebrated. Roads 1112 miles. Bridges 13,852 feet. Average motors to cross Pareora bridge, 178 per day. Sports Pavilion erected in Victoria Park. First Waimate District Women's Institute formed in Waituna.
1927 Amateur Athletic Club formed.
1928 Women's Rest Room opened. New High School erected at a cost of £18,500. Primary and High Schools made separate institutions. A coroner appointed for Waimate district. Te Waimate homestead destroyed by fire,
1929 Konini Gully bought at entrance to Kelcy's Bush. Seventy-fifth anniversary of the, arrival of Michael Studhohne celebrated by public presentation of an appropriate illuminated address to his son, Edgar Channon Studholme. Jubilee of Waimate Borough celebrated. Maori whare erected in Seddon Square to mark Borough's fifty years jubilee.
1930 Gardener's residence erected in Victoria Park. First Borough gardener, A. White, appointed. Land acquired for construction of Meyer and Dash streets. Croquet Club formed.
1931 Extensions of underground sewerage system in Belt, Opie, Mary, Maude; Hughes, Eaton and Michael streets. Governor- General Lord Bledisloe makes three-day visit, staying at Te Kiteroa and entertained at various functions. Start of depression. Borough provides work for unemployed returned soldiers receiving a subsidy from R.S.A.
1932 Intake for Borough water supply moved upstream half a mile to present site at Rock Pool. Heavy rain causes severe flooding of Waimate Creek and other streams. Borough water supply pipe line at Kelcy's Bush washed away in places. Water at intake spillway eight feet deep. Borough pays out £5122 for depression relief.
1933 Public Library taken over by Borough from the Library Committee. Subscribers 108.
Manchester Park of 12 acres taken over by Borough from Waimate Rugby Sub-union. Bell tower of original Knox Church given to Borough and erected at intersection of Manse and Belt streets. Depression at its worst. Borough providing work for over 200 men in addition to its own staff. Unemployment Board providing the whole of the wages and Council providing tools and materials. Boots repaired for men and their families and meat obtained and issued. Relief wages for year paid by Borough, £6853.
1934 Waitaki Hydro Electric Power Station opened. Redcliff irrigation scheme constructed by Public Works Department. Knox Church rebuilt in stone from Waihao River, Hook Stream, and Waimate Stream. Borough constructs electric pre-heater for heating tar and bitumen. Maori Cemetery Point Bush road acquired by Borough. Borough had £700 of rates outstanding at end of year.
1935 High School buildings extended. Plymouth Brethren build first church in Innes street.
1936 Redcliff irrigation works commenced, September.
1937 New fire engine purchased to replace the first motor vehicle. Downlands (Lower Pareora) water supply district constituted; piped domestic supply as well as for stock, costing £3 15s per house and 9d per acre for stock supply. Morven Drainage District declared.
1938 State Housing Department commenced operations in the town, building three houses at corner of High and Belt streets and four at corner of Queen and Dash streets.
1938 Borough. paid out £38,635 in relief wages for years 1932 to 1938. ,Fire destroys late Dr. Barclay's house,“Whareora” in Shearman street. Housing survey taken of Borough. Satisfactory 390, below standard 161, unsatisfactory and not worth expense of improvements 40. Total dwellings 591. There were 42 overcrowded dwellings with 60 surplus persons. Very wet year; rainfall 41.45 inches.
1939 New Primary School erected in wood. Old brick school built in 1881, demolished. Exceptionally dry year with rainfall of 20.04 inches. New schools built at St. Andrews, Ikawai and Hakataramea.
1940 New Police Station erected, New school opened. W. G. Paul chairman of committee. Government discontinues unemployment relief scheme which has been in operation since 1931. During that period Borough paid out £67,364 and County £53,661 in relief wages.
1941 Water main from reservoir to town duplicated by the laying of nine inch main.
1942 High School buildings extended. Metal work and homecraft block added. New school built at Morven.
1943 Governor-General Sir Cyril and Lady Newall paid official visit.
1944 Sewerage extended to southwest side of Borough including Hospital. National Mortgage and Agency Co. Ltd. erects large seed cleaning store in Gorge road. Bowling Club celebrates fifty years jubilee. John Mitchell (president) foundation member, of the club.
1945 New Public Hospital built. Bowling green laid at Victoria Park by Council for Waimate Bowling Club.
1946 Borough Council decides to undertake housing scheme and raised loans of £50,000 for the purpose. First Council house built at corner of High and Michael streets. Services Bowling Club formed and lease green at Victoria Park from Council .
Waitaki Electorate renamed Waimate.
1947 Post Office clock tower taken down. Mr G. V. Sadled's offer of silos, as site for clock declined by Borough Council.
1948 As a result of a meeting of ratepayers and residents in the area 50 acres lying between Parsonage road and Timaru road became part of Borough. County Council paid the Borough £325 as the area share of assets.
1949 Waimate Trotting Club originally, formed in 1925 revived and first totalisator trotting meeting held at Waimate racecourse on December 9, 1950.
Edgar Channon Studholme eldest son of Michael Studholme, died at "Te Waimate."
New school built at Makikihi.'
1950 Waimate Dairy Coy. Ltd. built new factory in Paul street. Fire station extended and remodelled.
1951 Pavilion erected by Services Bowling Club at Victoria Park. New school built at Waihaorunga.
1952 Learners' pool constructed at baths by Waimate Swimming Club. Death of Hon John Bitchener. Member of Parliament for district for 16 years. Silver Band disbands owing to lack of members. Trustees sell Band Hall and hand over uniforms, instruments and funds amounting to £697 to Borough. Cattle Creek (Hakataramea) School remodelled.
1953 High School buildings again extended with erection of art and music rooms. Borough Council purchases Olympia Hall for £2250. Rugby street constructed. Community room erected at motor camp. Waihao Downs railway closed, 70 years after opening. Waimate Boxing Association celebrates 25th jubilee. Waimate Amateur Athletic Association celebrates 25th jubilee. Druids Lodge celebrates 50th jubilee. Kindergarten Association erects building from funds raised locally and Government subsidy. Two women elected to Waimate Borough Council.
1954 Extensions of sewerage system commenced for new area of Borough, east of Parsonage road. Work started on building of new traffic bridge over Waitaki river. Education Department commences building of new school (Waimate North), corner of King and Hughes streets. Seventy-fifth jubilee of formation of Borough. Southburn and Hakataramea Valley schools enlarged. Community centre halls opened at Ikawai and Waihaorunga. Hook War Memorial Hall additions, becomes also Second World War Memorial.
1955 Centennial School opened.
1956 New road bridge over Waitaki opened
1958 Drill hall property vested in Borough
1964 New rail bridge over Waitaki comes into use
1966 Closing of Waimate to Studholme Juction railway. Gas works closed.
1971 Waimate stadium completed
1978 Norman Kirk Memorial Swimming Centre opened
1979 New Fire Station at Glenavy
1980 New Fire Station at Waimate
1982 Form 1 to 7 Status High School established
1982 Local Government Centre completed